- Log onto Moodle at lms.pratt.edu
- Select Moodle course you want to export
- Click on the settings menu (the gear icon in the upper right corner of window) choose “More” > Course administration > backup
- Modify backup settings as needed, and click next twice (or choose jump to final step)
- Click “perform backup” at bottom of window
- When backup is complete, click “continue”
- In the “restore course” window that opens, scroll down to the newly created backup and click “download.” (Using Firefox and Windows 10, choosing “save” stores the file in your “downloads” folder). Note that backup files can be very large so you need to allow time for the download to complete.
- In Canvas, create a new course to upload your materials from Moodle
- From the Canvas course home page, choose “import existing content” on the right hand side of the page
- In the “content type” field, choose “moodle 1.9/2.x”
- In the “source” field, click “browse” and locate your moodle backup file (.mbz extension) where is has been downloaded on your computer. Select it.
- If you have question banks in your moodle course and want to keep them in canvas, select the option “select question bank” in the field labelled “default question bank”
- Select “Choose all content”
- Click “import” Again, allow the necessary time for uploading large files.
- When the import is complete, return to the course home page to view how your course material has been distributed.
- You can now move these materials to your other Canvas courses or reference them as needed.
Moodle to Canvas Migration Guide:
U. Minnesota Moodle to Canvas Migration Guide:
Additional Moodle Import Resources