Alyssa + Schuyler Project 1

Golden Ratio

sk_020315c

This was drawn using the ratio of 1:1.6 and adding the previous distance traveled to it to increase the rectangle’s dimensions on one side. I repeated the steps enough to realize that there’s definitely a better way to do it.

Random Clusters

sk_020315a

With excessive repetition of a simple turn and move command I was able to observe clusters and random movement. By selecting 1 for move and 100 for the angle I could make something in which the strange randomness was legible.

sk_021615a

For me, what happened around the square boundary exercise was more interesting than within the boundary. Again, setting up a random angle with parameters makes this squiggly path, though illegible at any given moment, resemble and act like a spiral in its entirety.

Rotated Squares

sk_020315b

DSC_0170e

2

I experimented with rotations of a rectangle to create circles. By setting the angle of rotation (to 175) and the number of rotations (to 72) I was able to make four concentric circles using only the lines of the rectangles.
Originally I was unsure how to modify the svg file to change the colors so I made two separate files. The first one drew 36 rectangles. The file drew the first 36 rectangles again but without recording to the svg exporter (I made a different rectangle block), then recording after the 36 rotations, hence drawing rectangles in between the existing ones.
In order to start the second file in the same location on the vinyl cutter I made a pen mark on the paper in the starting location; after changing pens I carefully moved the pen back to that location to start the second file. Any alignment error came from locating the second file on the vinyl cutter software’s page setup.
Another mistake that I noticed at a later date was the inconsistency of alternating squares. In two locations, the squares failed to alternate, one time for each of the colors. (see the orange location below) I believe this can be attributed to the starting location (which needed to be shifted by 5 degrees, or 360/72)

2

Grid of Hearts

heartone heartheart grid Heart Grid 2 1_27

I drew a heart in beetle blocks the way someone would draw one on a piece of paper  The heart was then drawn repetitively in a grid with the color changing hue by 30 in each row.

Grid of Stars

starone starstar grid Star Grid 2 1_27

This is the same grid script as the heart.  The star is drawn using the angle 120 and 48 to get the end point the same as the starting point which is necessary in order for each row to come out straight.

Star Rotation in z and y axes

rotating starsrotaing star 3drotating star script

I rotated a star in both the y and z axes while scaling it up as it repeated.  I did it four times starting at a different starting angle and each one is a different color.

Attractors with Pentagon and Color

pentagon attractor with colorpentagot atractor color script

Here I took the attractor script and changed the lines into pentagons to create more of a pattern.  Then I used the if block and basically dividing the pentagons as a whole into zone to create a color gradient.

I then tried to make a radial gradient of color within the pentagons but it still needs work.  It became much more difficult to control both the y positions and the x positions.

fail radial gradientradial gradient blocks

Drawing within a boundary. Printing with two colors.

rotation in boundaryrotation in boundary script

For this drawing I used the script that was for a random walk within a boundary but instead of randomly walking, it walks in a circle.  It never makes a complete circle because it hits the boundary before it can do so and turns around.  The black lines trace the movement of walking 2 steps and rotating by 3 while the blue lines trace the movement of walking 2 steps and rotating by 8.  The reason the drawing still moves outside the largest boundary is because the move is 2 steps, but the space between the square boundaries is one step.  To keep it inside I would have to change the move to 1 or change the space between the two squares to be 2.

In order to print in two colors, I changed the Hex value manually.  I saved what is seen in black in one svg and what is seen in blue in another svg.  Then I went in and replaced all the hex values with a different hex value in the the second svg file.  I copy between the header and footer of the second svg file, the one I just changed, and pasted it into the first svg file at the end but before the footer.  It was then all in one file that I could print by color.