Jacklyn + Patrick

Final Project Sketch 1: 

We wanted to make something modular and repeatable that could fit into one another to create different shapes. Almost like a puzzle. The geometry we explored was created through our 3d Beetle Block studies.

Looking at Legos and spinning cog toys as inspiration we want to create our toy in this repeatable and modular way.

cog1     leggo1     leggo2

 

Final Project Sketch 2: 

And so we began doing sketch models in Rhino as to want we want to create using 2 different pieces:

toy3     toy1

1) Unit Modules                                                            2) 3D Model

toy2     toy4

3) Unit Aggregation                                                       4) Unit Aggregation Axo

 

Final Project Sketch 3: Test-Fit Kit

2     3 

 

Final Project Model 1:

 

script1 script2

 

IMG_0289

IMG_0288 IMG_0285

IMG_0281 IMG_0280

 

 

Final Project Model 2:

C60a

 

Inspired by the press-fit kit studies as well as “Bucky Balls,” we decided to explore how to make a sphere out of different shapes as a children’s toy. We were able to develop the script we made on Beetle Blocks from our first model even further. The slits became larger both in length and width to match the material we were using which was 1/8″ thick basswood. By making the slits larger on both the shapes and the connectors, the pieces were able to come together like a puzzle and stay together with a strong connection. No glue was necessary for the project. The connectors’ angles also changed as well as their overall length in order for the sphere to close.

We decided to use triangles and pentagons to make a sphere. Some research was necessary to determine the angle both the shapes needed in order to create a full sphere as well as the number of pieces necessary. The angle needed for the triangulated sphere was 138 degrees; the number of triangles needed was 20; and the number of connectors needed was 30. The angle needed for the pentagonal sphere was 117 degrees; the number of pentagons needed was 12; and the number of connectors needed was 32.

The way the script was developed, any shape could be made with the same number of corresponding slits to match whatever thickness was chosen for the pieces. This is how our toy was developed and these are the results:

FINAL TRIANGLE

FINAL PENTAGON

FINAL NOTCH

 

 

Icosahedron: Polyhedron with 20 Faces/Triangular

2

4

 

Dodecahedron: Polyhedron with 12 Faces/Pentagonal

1

3

 

final

final_glitter

Assembling the models was relatively simple. The joint connection piece was originally supposed to create a space between the polygons, but the new one we produced was too short, so none of the models have spacings between them, and instead the polygons now touch each other. Since there is still some space between the joint piece and the polygons, it gives some wiggle room when assembling the polygons, and made it slightly easier for us to insert the final one. However, assembling the last piece was still a little more difficult to assemble than the rest of the pieces, but still manageable. In order to make the last piece easier to assemble the joint connection pieces would have to be larger in order to create a larger gap between the polygon pieces. This would allow the last piece to be attached with less difficulty.

The pink model, we spray painted after we assembled both halves. After painting, we found that it was a lot more difficult to get the pieces to join together and some connection joints began to snap. We also sprayed the pink model with a glitter spray paint, but the nozzle was clogged and the paint that was applied looked like it was splattered on.

 

 

 

 

 

1 Response

Leave a Reply