EX.02 3D G-code

Elliptical 3D prints

This exercise is focused on manual export of G-code straight from the Beetle Blocks to a 3D printer. The geometry of the following experiments is based on a custom-built Ellipse component that is described in detail below. The misalignments between two adjacent ellipses forces the extruded material to drip, creating a range of different patterns. All of the 3D prints below were created by adjusting the rate of extrusion, the increment of rotation and the speed, with which ellipses were deformed along their major axis.

img_0814 img_0812 img_0811 img_0810 img_0809 img_0808 img_0807 img_0804 img_0799 img_0801 img_0802 img_0806img_0798 img_0800

Elliptical Tower

Rotating Ellipses code that stacks ellipses in Z dimension while gradually changing the ratio of their major axis, as well as rotating them in XY plane. The rotation is introduced through creating a secondary XY list, which is populated in a following manner. For every point in the original coordinate list, the beetle, located at the centroid of the ellipse, measures its distance to that point, then points to it and rotates away from it by a set rotational angle. Then the beetle moves forward by measured distance and records its new XY that are used to populate the secondary list. After all the points have been rotated around the centroid, the beetle proceeds to draw the actual ellipse.

ellipse

Playing the Rain Man

The math behind an ellipse translated from a Wolfram Alpha function into a Beetle Blocks script. The function is solved for Y on the white board below and then translated into a BB definition. The beetle starts at the center and then moves to the left side of the horizontal major axis. Then it divides the X axis into equal components based on the Resolution parameter and calculates a Y coordinate for each X position based on the Ellipse formula. Once the lists of point-coordinates are established, the beetle proceeds from one point to the next drawing the actual ellipse.

2016-09-12-14-21-41

45 Responses

1. Thank you for this article. I’d also like to convey that it can always be hard when you find yourself in school and starting out to establish a long history of credit. There are many learners who are simply just trying to pull through and have an extended or beneficial credit history can sometimes be a difficult factor to have.

2. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. cheers

3. I have really learned result-oriented things by means of your weblog. One other thing I’d like to say is the fact newer laptop os’s often allow additional memory to be used, but they additionally demand more storage simply to work. If one’s computer can’t handle a lot more memory as well as the newest software requires that memory increase, it could be the time to shop for a new Laptop. Thanks

4. I am glad for commenting to make you understand of the exceptional experience our girl undergone studying yuor web blog. She mastered so many pieces, most notably how it is like to have an incredible giving mood to let other individuals easily understand selected tortuous matters. You really surpassed our desires. Many thanks for displaying such productive, healthy, revealing and easy guidance on this topic to Ethel.