Ex01 2D DWG

David Franck

9.1.16

In this script I was creating two curves with sine and cosine functions then using an interpolation logic to do the equivalent  of a rhino “tween curves”. I was struggling to do this completely recursively but I feel like I was getting pretty close. In this version I was creating and dumping the x and y positions of the beetle as each iteration of the interpolation logic happened. Then dumping this list into a master list which I could use outside of the interpolation loop. Inspired by Ada and Jacobs scripts

interpolate curve generic6.7-01

Goal: In this script I was creating two curves with sine and cosine functions then using an interpolation logic to do the equivalent  of a rhino “tween curves”. I was struggling to do this completely recursively but I feel like I was getting pretty close. In this version I was creating and dumping the x and y positions of the beetle as each iteration of the interpolation logic happened. Then dumping this list into a master list which I could use outside of the interpolation loop. Inspired by Ada and Jacobs scripts

Link

curve inter 1 04

Link

curve inter 2 interpolate curve generic6.7-01

8.29.16

In this script I was finding the distance of a grid points to three target points then computing a sine, cosine, or tangent. If you average the z values from the previous functions the value can be mapped to a rotation for a square giving a 2D representation of a 3D phenomena.

sin wave3 low res-01

Goal:

Link

rotated sqaures sin wave low res-01
Goal:

Link

rotated sqaures sin wave2 low res
Goal:

Link

rotated sqaures sin wave3 low res-01
 Link rotated sqaures Untitled-1-01
 Link rotated sqaures Untitled-1-02
 Link free form curve low res-01

_________________________________________________________________________________

Adin Rimland

09.04.16

In this script, my goal was to create a recursive way to have a circle shape shift into some “amoebic” form as it moved away from its origin point.

1

Goal: draw a densely packed drawing with an ink-nib.

Results: The drawing itself took 35 minutes, and was only ~15% done. It was far from complete, but I found an interesting feature where the ink would refill itself in the same spots until I did not have to keep refilling it myself and the small puddles of ink would do so instead.

2
Goal: have a circle shape-shift into an “amoebic” form as it moved away from its origin point.

Results: The pen was gripped in a way whereby it had a lot of unplanned motion. The pen would rotate about its center as it moved across the drawing, adding a gestural dimension to the piece.

Link

52eaafc3-6c57-4540-a99f-790e167e57f7 1

Results: The pen started drying until it was completely dried at the end. This gave the drawing a disintegration aspect which I appreciate.

Link

52eaafc3-6c57-4540-a99f-790e167e57f7 3

Results: I do not like this drawing. It has a nice quality, but is too ‘object’. I was able to lose this quality through different drawing techniques

Link.

52eaafc3-6c57-4540-a99f-790e167e57f7 05

_______________________________________________________________________________

09.01.16

In this script, my goal was to create a recursive way to have a circle shape shift into some “amoebic” form as it scaled from its centerpoint. My struggle was with the list-management feature of BeetleBlocks and balancing the amount of polygon sides vs random manipulators which would scale up pronounced different features.

03

Link

38e00b7a-d98c-42fd-bdd7-0385dbee7432 01

Link

38e00b7a-d98c-42fd-bdd7-0385dbee7432 02
Goal: draw an earlier system with the Vinyl cutter. A shape rotates and grows in a sequence. If the shape fits within certain parameters, it is circled or filled in and restarted. GeneratedDrawingsSupplementFinal_02 03

08.28.16

Rotational Recursive Sequence:

Attempt 01: A sinusoidal recursive sequence.

The ‘branch’ block rotates 15 degrees

Each rotation adds 1.2XSin of rotation to the branching recursive component.

Link

A

01
Attempt 02: A sinusoidal recursive sequence with coordinates. (Failed)

The ‘branch’ block rotates 15 degrees.

Reorient Z to original and draw a line in 4 ways forever, until (Z^2 +Y^2) >750

Link

c7189076-5909-4fea-a20f-cace80ab8e61d9905ff9-be05-4d8d-8ea3-02f45ff26364 GeneratedDrawingsFinal02-2

Attempt 01: Non-subtractive model

Beetle moves at a repetition of 1 in the X, then the Y coordinates and draws a circle

The ‘polygon’ model changes from a full circle to a semi-circle in a sinusoidal sequence.

If the circle is less than 15% completion, a light larger circle is drawn and the sequence repeats itself X (Random X(1 to -1))

If the circle is more than 85% completion, a dark smaller circle is drawn and the sequence repeats itself X (Random X(1 to -1))

Link

GeneratedDrawingsSupplementFinal_02

GeneratedDrawingsFinal01-1
Attempt 02: Subtractive Model

The model from Attempt 01 is repeated, however only once circle is shown at a time.

Link

GeneratedDrawingsSupplementFinal_02

GeneratedDrawingsFinal01-2