EX. 01 (2D DWG)

Using Bryce + Sergey’s dual pen holder:

One with felt tip pen the other with a piece of lead at an angle. I was expecting a soft shadow but with clear lines…as lead got smoother lines turned into a “smudge” technique.


Cutting same script with vinyl paper and peeling away randomly. Cuts were all made at the same pressure and speed (around 40 g).


Folding and Cutting:

I set up 3 grids one to be scored, one cut, and the other drawn. I then started folding and peeling the paper to get a relief (another attempt with different material). I then tried to start setting up rules by hand.

Here cuts are more controlled. Rectangular grid is drawn in pencil, -45 Angles scored, 45 Angles drawn in red. Cuts are done by hand.
Hand Cut to figure out a rule for cutting
Paper folded over based on machine cuts. Additional small cuts made after to attempt some type of composition.
US Cutter SVG file Black: Draw Green: Score Red: Cut Click Image to go to project page.




Week 3:

Vinyl Paper Experiment:


img_5178 img_5179 img_5180

I tried layering different colors to create some form of depth. Each cut was calibrated to what layer I wanted to be revealed. In this example I started with the center removing the most material. I tired another version where the cuts ware random in depth and it did not make much of a difference. I was able to peel off a simple score on the vinyl paper. Perhaps if I double up on each paper, it will work.

Sketches on layering vinyl paper

Dipping Paint brush via Vinyl Cutter:

img_5183 img_5185

I wanted the script to control where and when the paint brush would be dipped into the painting medium (water color in this case). I used the same script as for the Vinyl paper experiment and added a “go to” point outside of the script. I eyeballed it to be past an 11×17 sheet of paper so that when the rollers move the paper around, the paint dish wont be knocked over. I noticed that the cutter divided the image in half, doing the left side of the image first then going to the right and drawing the bottom section then the top.

Thinking beetle code through sketch


If I let the cutter print everything at once, it does not go dip the brush until the very end.
Here I did each layer/color separately.


2D Tree:

Needs work. I took the Vee 3D script and removed the rotations in the x and y coordinates. I did get some form of branching but there seems to be a jump from one move to the other.

tree-script branch-blocktree

Week 2:

Inspiration: Processing




This was based on a process drawing. Success…can make increments smaller for higher density.

 Weave 2

Machine Sketch:

img_5209 img_5210

Week 1:

Sine Curve Tests:

NOScirpt1 NOScript2Spike Sine

FAIL: not much randomness, thickness of line not seen (appears more like a dashed line).

Week 2 (revised)

Script_Better Spike Sine Better Sine SpikeScript_Better Sine Line

Spike Sine

I went back to the original script and changed the method in which line weights were drawn. Moving in increments and pointing/moving back to last list position.


Alternating Square:

270356ba-16d8-4e64-a5be-ce97ce877f03 fda7ef01-e7c5-42d0-81fc-dfbda14b1cdcSq Pattern








I made 2 grids that aligned corners on one end and expanded/shifted directions in x and y directions.



Uneven Spiral:

Spiral_01Spiral (1)-01-01


Here I wanted to make an uneven spiral that changed scales from start to mid-way then back down again all while drawing several circles randomly. It worked but not as dramatically as I would have liked.

Uneven Spiral

BB_1   screen-shot-2016-09-24-at-9-44-11-pm

This was an experiment with random movements given a certain number of rotations, specifically 120 degree rotations creating different sized triangles. After enough repetitions, a circular grid began to form in the center.



BB_2        screen-shot-2016-09-24-at-9-43-21-pm

This was an experiment with giving random movement to a 90 degree rotation, while also saying that after a set number of random moves, the pen would rotate 15 degrees and create another random set of 90 degree rotations.



COOLIO                         3790ef19-e3eb-4bce-9048-ede3972e2116fullsizerender    This was an experiment with using brush pens on the US Cutter, in an attempt to naturally create line weights, previously not existing within a drawing created in Beatle Blocks. It did not come out as planned, but the thickness of the brush pen created very specific densities in the drawing.