ESP8266 & NRF24L01 Notes

heres my pics redrawn in fritzing….

the ESP wiring with real switches instead of just poking wires…

Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 6.34.31 PM

the schematic

Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 2.03.59 AM

You only need 3 wires from the usb-serial board. TX,RX, & Gnd

Prolific based modules don’t work with the upload program in the current IDE add-on. They do work with the esp8266.py program I’ll post a link to separately.  I used SP2102 modules but CH340’s will work too

Don’t try to power the ESP from the module. Some knockoffs are mis wired and have 5V on the 3.3pin and others just cant handle the almost half amp spike at wifi startup.

If you do use the usb cable for power you may find that simple things like the blink sketch work fine but when you try a wifi connection the usb module detaches from the usb bus.

you can get around this by using an external LDO 3.3V regulator on the 5V supply line from the USB. I used batteries since it allows you to pop the  usb board off the breadboard and move the unit around  exaggerating the point that this is a simple standalone module

The NRF Module

Since it needed no external parts I just wired it straight to the arduino uno pins. pins 11,12,13 are for the SPI bus and will be different on other arduinos. on the leonardo I used the isp header to wire these signals.

nrf