“The meditations and visualizations have given me a means of really seeing where I want to go with my career. I have looked inside and seen what I really want in my career. My goal is to meditate everyday because when I do the effect is really wonderful.” – Participant

Purchase the books:

You can purchase the books we use in the course from a local bookstore or use the online links below:

Schaller, R. (2013). Create Your Art Career: Practical Tools, Visualizations, and Self-Assessment Exercises for Empowerment. Allworth Press: New York

Chopra, D. (1994). The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams. New World Library / Amber-Allen Publishing.

Ricard, M. (2010) Why Meditate? Hay House: California

Meditation Apps: 

You might enjoy these apps to aid your practice:

Calm; Headspace; Buddhify; The Mindfullness App; Stop, Breathe ThinkSmiling Mind; INSIGHT TIMER

Mind Mapping Apps:

I free draw my maps and use an app. These are a few I have and recommend. Try them and find the one you love, mapping can be really simple with colors and circles to ideating concepts and content linked to multiple resources.

Mindnode

VUE 

XMind

Excellent websites to explore:

Center for Mindfulness – I love these folks. I am currently enrolled in their certification program and I can tell you from my direct experience that their programs, intentions and community are wonderful. They are dedicated to supporting mindfulness practitioners, teachers, and researchers around the globe, and this website hosts a variety of online resources including community discussion forums and digital media. Check out their Meditation Room for a variety of free audio files.

Mindfulness online course – Palouse Mindfulness free course.  –  This is a great course that I highly recommend for mindfulness. Great resources and instructions in mindfulness. Many thanks to Dave Potter for his awesome free site. He is a fully certified MBSR instructor and I’ve tailored the  framework of this course on his site outline – Thanks Dave for sharing!!! Check it out.

The Association for Contemplative Mind in Higher Education (ACMHE) I am a member of this wonderful organization and I suggest you check it as well. It is a multidisciplinary academic association with an international membership of over 730 educators, administrators, staff, students, researchers and other professionals committed to the transformation of higher education through the recovery and development of the contemplative dimensions of teaching, learning and knowing. Consider joining.

The Downtown Meditation Center – this is a local meditation center in downtown Manhattan. Downtown Meditation Community is comprised of individuals who come together to practice and study the dharma, the teachings of the Buddha. The programs, held for the most part in the downtown area of Manhattan, are led by Peter Doobinin and other teachers. These classes, courses, and retreats offer an opportunity to cultivate meditation practice and develop the skillful qualities.

Alumnus Harry Martinian is a TM teacher, and has provided this list of TM centers for those who are interested.

Center for Courage and Renewal –  Their mission is to create a more just, compassionate and healthy world by nurturing personal and professional integrity and the courage to act on it. This is a beautiful organization and has many resources, writings, guidance on being authentic in the world, and connecting who you are with what you do.

Mindfulness Meditation Centers and Weekly Sitting Groups

To find mindfulness mediation centers and weekly sitting groups in the US, you can check out these websites to start your search:

For the West Coast: www.spiritrock.org 

For the East Coast, www.dharma.org

Readings/Resources – These are wonderful!

Practical Insight Meditation_Vipassana.pdf

Mindfullness in Plain English_Basic.pdf

The 6 Preliminaries of Tibetan Buddhism.pdf

Mindfulness_At home in our bodies – Kabat Zinn.pdf

Map of the Journey/pdf

Why Meditate/pdf

Additional books of interest. Many of these have informed the lectures in this course, you might like to read:

Barbezat, D., & Bush, Mirabai. (2014). Contemplative Practices in Higher Education. San Francisco, CA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Cameron, J. (1992). The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity. Los Angeles, CA: Jeremy P. Tarcher/Perigee.

Carroll, M. (2012). Fearless at Work: Timeless Teachings for Awakening Confidence, Resilience, and Creativity in the Face of Life’s Demands. Boston: Shambhala.

Chopra, D. (2010). The Soul of Leadership: Unlocking your Potential for Greatness. New York: Harmony Books.

Covey, S. (1990). The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People: Restoring the character ethic. New York: Fireside Book.

Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1993). The Evolving Self. Harper Collins Pub.

Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1990). Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. Harper Perennial Pub.

Feinstein, D., & Krippner, S. (1988) Personal Mythology. Tarcher Publisher

Gawain, S. (2002). Creative Visualization: Use the Power of Your Imagination to Create What You Want in Your Life ([Rev. ed.). Navato, Calif.: Nataraj Pub

Goldsmith, J., & Sinkler, L. (1956). The Art of Meditation. New York: Harper & Bros.

Hahn, T. (1975). The Miracle of Mindfulness. Beacon Press., and The Mindfulness Survival Kit

Hall, M. (1970). Self-Unfoldment by Disciplines of Realization. The Philosophical Research Society

Hall, M. (1991). The Zen of the Bright Virtue. The Philosophical Research Society.

Hurst, A. (2014). The Purpose Economy: How Your Desire for Impact, Personal Growth and Community Is Changing the World. Boise: Elevate.

Johns, Steven. (2010) Where Good Ideas Come From. Riverhead Books: New York

His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Van Den Muyzenberg, L.  (2009). The Leader’s Way: The Art of Making the Right Decisions in Our Careers, Our Companies, and the World at Large. Broadway Books: New York.

Mahraj, S. (1991). I Am That. The Acorn Press.

Michalko, M. (1998). Cracking Creativity: The Secrets of Creative Genius. Berkeley, Calif.: Ten Speed Press.

Rath, T., & Harter, J. (2010). Wellbeing: The Five Essential Elements. New York:Gallup Press.

Thondup, Tulku Rinpoche. (1996). The Healing Power of Mind. (Buddhayana Series, VII) Shambhala.

Roth, R. (1987). Maharishi Mahesh Yogi’s Transcendental Meditation. New York: Primus.

Tolle, E. (1997). The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment. Namaste Publishing.  

Webster, R. (2005). Creative Visualization. Llewellyn Worldwide.

I hope you continue to practice mindfulness and share your creativity, insight and presence. We are always stronger together.

You are welcome to download and enjoy the career worksheets, meditations and visualization audio files, so you can continue to practice at home.

If you would like to make a donation as a thank you, your gift is much appreciated.

Click here  DONATE and thank you ! Stay in touch.