I’ve been building USB Joystick controllers for the teen group at the local library. Last time I made Midi controllers and they loved it. Especially using Garageband to play with their creation.

This time its arcade joysticks. We had such a good time at the last Retro Gamer Night in 2017  that I want to have something fun at the next one in March. I have some boxes and Happ parts ready to go.

When I did the Midi I used Arduino Leonardo boards and PIC 16F2550 chips. That way t here was the beginner option and the pro option…

This time I’m going in the middle using VUSB on Atmel chips. This is a bit bang USB for chips with no native USB hardware. A couple of resistors and Zener diodes and a nice piece of software…

To make prototyping the different interfaces simple I made these little boards with the VUSB hardware to tuck under a small protoboard. If you add the micronucleus bootloader this is a perfect portable board to add to your Arduino collection.

Heres the complete hardware with a couple of added caps to filter the +5V USB power.

Cheap little protoboards

And Duct Tape. Gotta have that.

The ATTINY85 is my favorite for small joysticks and the Atmega8 is a good choice for anything else….

just to make sure it works  I uploaded the Adafruit Trinket USB Volume Knob Code. 

Now for a real test. Found these up in the attic. Probab;y should clean them up but I want to see how it works.

These are old Tandy  Color Computer Analog Joysticks with only one button….

And they don’t self center either….

But they do work….

VUSB Proto Board