I Would be Absolutely Devastated If I Did Not Have The Thing I Have Here Right Now. 2018-07-23T20:13:21+00:00

“I Would be Absolutely Devastated If I Did Not Have
The Thing I Have Here, Right Now.”

Curated by Angela Conant
December 2017

A night of reading and performance by:

Dakotah Murphree
Xinan Ran
Melanie Carlstad
Deirdre Keough
Erica Ammann
Mary Wichmann

Writers and visual artists read their work asking: What can language do,
and examining the functionality of language

There will be costumes/wigs/reading/refreshments and more! 

Held in symposium with the group exhibition:

I Would Be Absolutely Devastated If I Did Not Have The Thing I Have Here Right Now

with works on view by:

Turner Cain
Zachary Davis
Destiny Giusti
Deirdre Keough
Ramsha Khan
Hope Morrison
Dakotah Murphree
Greg Nachmanovitch
Sarah Pauley
Caroline Schuck
Charles Smith

Eleven young artists present an exhibition of works based loosely on their responses to Adrian Piperʼs text Two Conceptions of the Self (1984) in which Piper tracks the lineage from desire to an objectʼs manifestation, and describes desireʼs relationship to the self. Piper argues that any human-made object exists as a result of the desire of its designer. By this logic, all human-made objects are manifestations of desire. Each participant has produced an original work in accordance to their own unique relationship to these ideas. The group came to the conceptual framework for this exhibition through discussion, writing and source material on desire in the context of aesthetics by scholars such as Paul Guyer and Margueritte Murphy, as well as work by artists including Ana Mendieta, Janine Antoni, Felix Gonzalez-Torres, Jordan Wolfson and Holly Hughes. While they vary in process, material and concept, the relationship between the works arranged in space mirror the artistsʼ collective discourse.