Student Projects

Our students produce great work that showcases their diverse backgrounds and topical interests while highlighting their new analytical and design skills. Some students are looking to bolster their roles in existing positions, while others are getting ready to apply to graduate school and want to improve their application packet. Some are looking for a brand new career! The following work samples are from various courses in the GIS and Design certificate program. What will you create?

Student Projects
Featured Student:

Taylor McGinnis

I came to SAVI hoping to expand my knowledge on maps and data visualization after dabbling in GIS only a couple times as an environmental geologist. As someone with many interests, it struck me as a great tool to learn and apply to any work I was doing in the future. One of the things I love most about GIS is its applicability in such a wide variety of fields. Once I found the SAVI Certificate program I knew it was a great fit! Their program offers a great selection of interesting and useful coursework ranging from web mapping to R and spatial statistics to graphic design. The comprehensive program was what drew me to Pratt and really helped me to foster a growing interest in data visualization. The teachers were very involved in the coursework and classes, and all of them were active in the data mapping field in the city. SAVI also offers workshops to help students improve their cartographic, technical, and professional skills.

Since May, I have been working as a GIS Fellow at the Pratt Center for Community Development and as a Developer Intern at NYC Planning Labs. Through these organizations as well as my own personal projects, I focus mainly on creating maps on aspects of city planning. I enjoy building information sharing applications through researching data and translating this material into easily accessible and interactive educational resources.

You can check out my work on my online portfolio at https://www.taylormcginnis.com/.