Student Projects

Our students produce great work that showcases their diverse backgrounds and topical interests while highlighting their new analytical and design skills. Some students are looking to bolster their roles in existing positions, while others are getting ready to apply to graduate school and want to improve their application packet. Some are looking for a brand new career! The following work samples are from various courses in the GIS and Design certificate program. What will you create?

Featured Student:

Sara Eichner

I came to the SAVI GIS program as a visual artist and graphic designer. I’ve always loved maps and had been looking for the right place to study cartography and data visualization when I discovered the SAVI certificate program in 2015. I especially like the program’s emphasis on design and communicating complex data in clear and responsible ways. I’ve loved the program and continue to enjoy the discoveries and explorations that are accessible to me because of the skills I’ve learned.

I am currently building a GIS design and consulting business. Recent projects include Concrete Waves; for which I created maps to facilitate vacant land analysis for a skateboard park/storm water remediation site, and the West Harlem Climate Action Kiosk with Elliott Maltby. Most recently I had the exciting opportunity to collaborate with SAVI on CreateNYC; A Plan for All New Yorkers, the research project and cultural plan for the city. For CreateNYC I made numerous maps using many of my cartography, geoprocessing, data wrangling, and data visualization skills acquired in the SAVI program.

To see more of my work please visit saraeichnerGIS.com